What an interesting year it’s been! As we gradually re-emerged following the immense challenges of COVID, the SBA moved back from an online world to what we love the most: in person social gatherings, networking, friendships and mentoring. In addition to “get togethers” in April, May, June, and October, 2022 saw the full official launch of our very own “Inns of Court for Surrey” – a sold out mentoring program established in the long- standing inherited tradition of fostering meaningful mentoring relationships between junior lawyers and experienced counsel and judges. Thank you to all the judges and senior lawyers who have given of their time and expertise along the local law firms that came alongside in sponsorship!
This year also saw the return of our very own Annual Bench & Bar Dinner after a 3- year hiatus! We were able to once again, enjoy an evening together reconnecting as friends and colleagues and welcoming additions to our local Bench.
The SBA continues to:
- inform and provide a voice regarding issues impacting our local legal community through our website and emails;
- offer CPDs;
- participate in the Surrey Provincial Court Users Committee and the Surrey Court Mental Health Committee;
- promote access to justice and sponsor initiatives (ie Access Pro Bono);
- manage and support the Barrister’s Lounge at the Surrey Courthouse; and
- look for ways to serve our local legal community.
I have thoroughly enjoyed working with this wonderful organization as President (once again) this past year, and wish to thank our members, hard-working executive, and partners in the local bar and judiciary for another successful year.
Gordon K. Kabanuk
SBA President 2022